Now this is what I would call a high-yield recipe. For very little effort you end up with these explosive pockets of melt in your mouth goodness that do the most amazing job of balancing the sweet-savory taste combination. I can guarantee you that this Spanish-inspired appetizer will definitely impress and will be gobbled up as soon as soon as it leaves the oven. For best results, use fresh dates and high quality bacon. While the original recipe recommends Manchego cheese, I used gorgonzola, which paired beautifully and contributed a nice smooth texture to the final product.
Gorgonzola Stuffed Dates wrapped in Bacon
recipe adapted from Bon Appetit
- 12 Medjool dates
- 12 pieces gorgonzola cheese (can also use asiago, manchego, percorino, etc..)
- 4 slices thick high quality bacon, cut crosswise into 3 pieces
1) Preheat oven to 425C
2) Remove pits from dates
3) Insert 1 piece cheese into date
4) Sprinkle bacon generously with paprika on one side
5) Wrap each date with 1 piece bacon with paprika side against date
6) Secure with a toothpick.
7) Arrange on baking sheet and roast 6 minutes (till bacon is browned on the bottom). Turn dates and roast 6 minutes longer till bacon is cooked. Transfer to plate and cool slightly before serving.