Risotto Stuffed Tomatoes
I absolutely adore this recipe and have been making for years now. It stands out in my mind as perfectly showcasing some of the summer’s best flavors. I love that you use the juices of the tomatoes themselves to cook the risotto, which imparts the fresh summer tomato taste to the rice, and roasting the stuffed tomato just intensifies it all. This time around I made it along with the balsamic seared tuna and spinach gnocchi, but these tomatoes can easily hold their ground as the main attraction…you can throw in some potatoes into the oven while roasting the tomatoes and serve the two together. A huge plus of this recipe is that the risotto can be made ahead of time and the tomatoes stuffed and placed in the fridge. They do need an hour and 15 minutes of oven time and 15 minutes to cool, so place them in the oven at least an hour and a half before planning on serving them.
Luisa Weiss’s Tomatoes Filled with Rice
- 4 large, good-tasting tomatoes
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- Olive oil
- 1/3 cup Arborio rice
- 1/3 cup water
- Handful basil leaves, chopped into slivers
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 350F
2) Cut off the tops of the tomatoes. Scoop out the insides into a bowl and set the tomatoes aside on a baking sheet. Chop up any large pieces of tomato that were scooped out.
3) Heat pan to medium heat. Add olive oil. Add onion till cooked and soft.
4) Add the rice and cook for 2 minutes.
5) Add all the scooped out tomato flesh and juice as well as the water.
6) Add the basil and a pinach of salt.
7) Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning
8 ) Stuff tomatoes with rice mixture.
9) Sprinkle with a bit of parmesan cheese if desired.
10) Roast 1 hour and 15 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.