Spinach Mushroom Quiche
Quiches have been a lifesaver for me these days. They’re pretty easy to make (especially if you use store-bought crust) and the result is versatile, satisfying, and delicious and can be enjoyed for any meal during the day. This mushroom spinach quiche is not nearly as decadent as a quiche lorraine, but has the advantage of striking a good healthy balance of cheese and veggies and will leave you satisfied and keep you full.
This time I ended up making my own crust. I tried to make it a bit healthier by adding whole wheat and other white flour alternatives, so it wasn’t as buttery and flaky as the original recipe, but it had a nice nutty subtle wheat flavor that went really well with the filling. There is lots of chilling time needed for the crust so it’s good to plan ahead if making it yourself.
adapted from Dorie Greenspan via epicurious
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup spelt flour
- 1 t salt
- 1 t sugar
- 1 stick chilled butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large egg
1) Place flour, salt, and sugar into food processor and blend.
2) Add butter and pulse till coarse meal forms and pea sized pieces of butter remain.
3) Whisk egg and 1 t cold water in small bowl. Add to flour mixture.
4) Process until moist clumps form. Remove dough from processor and knead until dough just comes together.
5) Form into ball and flatten into a disk. Wrap well in plastic and chill for 1hr in the fridge. (can make this a day ahead)
6) Butter round tart pan with removable bottom.
7) Roll out dough on lightly floured surface. Transfer to pan. Press into the bottom and sides of pan. Chill another 1 hr.
8 ) Preheat oven to 400F. Butter a large square of foil and press (butter side down) onto crust. Fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake 20 minutes.
9) Remove foil and weights. Pierce bottom of crust all around. Bake another 10 minutes till golden. (can make this up to 6hrs ahead) Let cool.
adapted from Dorie Greenspan
- 1 1/2 Tb unsalted butter
- 2 medium shallots, chopped
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced (I used baby portabella)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1tsp dried thyme
- 4oz baby spinach (almost a whole 6oz bag)
- 3/4 cup whipping cream (i used half whipping, half milk)
- 2 large eggs
- pinch of salt
- pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 green onion
- 1/3 cup grated Gruyere cheese, plus a tablespoon for topping the quiche
1) Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallots & saute until until soft (~2 min)
2) Add mushrooms, some salt & pepper. Increase heat to high and saute until liquid is absorbed & mushrooms are tender (~8 min)
3) Sprinkle with the dried thyme and cook 1 minute. Transfer to plate and let cool.
4) Preheat oven to 350F
5) Sprinkle fresh thyme onto crust.
6) Drain mushrooms and scatter onto the crust.
7) Whisk cream, eggs, cheese, salt, pepper in medium bowl. Pour over mushrooms. Stir in the fresh spinach. Sprinkle with green onions and with a little extra cheese.
8 ) Bake until set, about 25minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes.