Gingergrass’ Shaking Beef Salad
I always get excited when we splurge a bit and treat ourselves to high quality ingredients to cook with. This recipe is for a classic Vietnamese shaking beef dish and while I’m sure it would have been delicious reglardless of the type of protein used, the combination of Asian flavors with the filet mignon made it incredible. I was amazed at what a fantastic dish this made for so little effort. Serve it with some rice and sliced avocados and you’ve got yourself an unforgettable meal.
Gingergrass’ Shaking Beef
recipe adapted from the LATimes, makes 2 servings
*remember you have to marinate the beef 2hr-up to overnight
8 ounces filet mignon, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 1/2 Tb plus 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic, divided
1 1/2 tsp fish sauce
1 1/2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
2 Tb vegetable oil
2 Tb diced yellow onions
1 Tb oyster sauce
1/2 bunch watercress or your choice of greens, washed and dried
1/8 cup thinly sliced red onion (I left this out)
3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/8 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
1) In a flat shallow container (I used a ziploc bag), toss the beef with 1 1/2 teaspoons of the minced garlic, the fish sauce, soy sauce and sugar. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or up to overnight.
2) Prepare your dressing and set aside
3) Heat a large sauté pan or wok over high heat and add the oil. Add the beef and sear gently on all sides (we like ours rare, but feel free to sear until browned if that’s what you prefer), then remove and drain on paper towels.
4) Add the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic and diced onions and sauté for 30 seconds, until aromatic.
5) Return the beef to the pan and add the oyster sauce, shaking the pan to distribute the flavors, then remove from the heat.
6) Assemble your salad. In a medium bowl, toss your greens with the red onions if using and a tablespoon or so of the dressing (enough to just coat the greens and adjust according to your taste). Arrange the salad on a plate and top with the cooked beef. Garnish with the chopped green onions; serve immediately with rice and sliced avocadoes.