Baked Shrimp Scampi
The Barefoot Contessa has done it again! Despite my doubts about this recipe due to the uncooked garlic and shallots in quantities I was slightly uncomfortable using, the short time in the oven managed to take off their raw edge and created the most intensely flavorful shrimp scampi I’ve ever tasted. The sauce was just perfectly seasoned and I loved that there was plenty of garlicky buttery white wine sauce to coat the pasta we ended up making alongside. The shrimp are of course the highlight here–so tender and covered in just the right amount of the lightly browned herb-seasoned panko crust. This one’s definitely a keeper!
Baked Shrimp Scampi
from Barefoot Contessa
- 1 pound large shrimp in the shell
- 1.5 Tb olive oil
- 1 Tb dry white wine
- freshly ground black pepper
- 6 Tb unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tsp minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 2 Tb minced shallots
- 2 Tb minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 tsp minced fresh rosemary leaves
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 Tb freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/3 cup Panko
- Lemon wedges, for serving
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
1) Peel, devein, and butterfly the shrimp, leaving the tails on. Place the shrimp in a mixing bowl and toss gently with the olive oil, wine, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Allow to sit at room temperature.
2) In a small bowl, mash the softened butter with the garlic, shallots, parsley, rosemary, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, lemon juice, egg yolk, panko, 1/4teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper until combined.
3) Starting from the outer edge of an oval or round gratin dish, arrange the shrimp in a single layer cut side down with the tails curling up and towards the center of the dish (you don’t want the shrimp to be right on top of each other).
4) Pour the remaining marinade over the shrimp. Spread the butter mixture evenly over the shrimp.
5) Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until hot and bubbly. If you like the top browned, place under a broiler for 1 minute. Serve with lemonwedges.